Thoughts From The Mind of A Princess

My faith is like shifting sand changed by every wave; My faith is like shifting sand...so I stand on grace. -Caedmon's Call Shifting Sand Isaiah 26:8, James 1:4, James, 1:22-27

Monday, February 28, 2005

Not sure what's going to happen...

Well, I am sitting in front of the computer screen, just typing away, not really sure of what is going to come out. This is a strategy I teach my students when we do our creative writing unit: free writing. You just write and write, with nothing really in mind, and eventually something will form on the paper. I really don't have anything to write about, I just have an itch in my fingers that makes me want to write. This could be a dangerous thing.

I sang yesterday for the first time in like a month. It was fun being able to sing with Jay. I love singing with Sarah, but when it's just Jay and me, it feels like old times at FBC. I led Come, Now Is The Time (which I guess has sorta' become one of my trademark songs, even though I am completely bored with it) and You Are My King. I love that song, "I'm forgiven because you were foresaken..." How true!! Those words hit home when I was singing them during 1st service.

Phil and I hung out at Melanie's on Saturday night. That was a lot of fun--maybe too much fun, wink wink. It felt good to be with grown ups, especially when those grown ups are Steve and Melanie. I have really been trying to make more time for my friends. With my job, it is so easy to forget people. I have to be honest though, most days I am so tired after work, all I want to do is crash on the couch and not move until it is time to transfer to my bed. I am not a mother, but I totally understand when a mom says that the kids take a lot out of you. I stand up all day long and try to impart these kids with some sort of knowledge they can take to the "real world." Most days it doesn't feel like I am getting anywhere, but every now and then, one of them gives me a hopeful glimpse into their brain. Right now I am reading Lord of the Flies with 4 classes, The Count of Monte Cristo with 1 class, and The Outsiders with another. Just trying to read those three books at the same time wears me out!!

FCAT is coming up. One week from today. I absolutely loathe this test!! I hate the way to State of Florida has made this test out to ruin our eduational system, as if it wasn't bad enough. Don't get me wrong, there is a lot of good that comes along with the test, but the emphasis that comes along with the scores is just not right. I remember taking standardized tests all through my scholastic career, but never was it such a big deal; and I grew up in CT which has one of the hardest school systems in the country!! I don't think it is right for teachers to be held accountable for every students' score--a lot of these kids won't even stay awake during the duration because they are so bored (or they can't read the text--but that's a whole other story). Once you get to high school, you should be held responsible for your own actions!

Anyway, I am getting worked up for no reason. I am tired so I think I am going to move my increasingly large rear end to the couch for a bit of down time. I hope everyone is doing well. I'll get back soon. MUAH!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home