Thoughts From The Mind of A Princess

My faith is like shifting sand changed by every wave; My faith is like shifting sand...so I stand on grace. -Caedmon's Call Shifting Sand Isaiah 26:8, James 1:4, James, 1:22-27

Friday, April 29, 2005

As I Wallow In My Stupidity...

Well, I finally took the GRE this morning. I needed a minimum score of 1000 to get into UCF. I won't make you grimace with my horrible score, but I will let you know that it was not 1000.

I was prepared, I had a good night's sleep, I knew what was expected of me, I was a little nervous but not so much that it impeded my focus...needless to say, I was ready to go! I felt really good through the written and verbal sections of the test, but when I got to the math section, BOOM!! It was pitiful. I finished the test but didn't feel confident with the math section. Then my scores came up on the screen. I did better in verbal than math but my scores were shameful. Trying to hold back my tears and disappointment, I gathered my things, signed out, and began the drive back home. I immediately called Phil (who was on a bus with band students, driving to Atlanta) and he listened as I fought back tears and vented about how stupid I felt. He comforted me and encouraged me as best he could over a phone. He reminded me that I didn't need only my GRE scores to be accepted into grad school--I still have my GPA.

I was still feeling a little upset when we hung up. So I did what anyone who is feeling bad does, I called my mama. She wasn't at her desk so I left a message and called Melanie. We made plans to go out and party tomorrow night. Maybe a little line dancing will help take my mind off things.

Finally my mother called me back. She reminded me that I have never done well on standardized tests. I have always done very well in school, but never on any type of standardized test. She encouraged me to not be so hard on myself and told me that getting this far is an accomplishment in itself.

I think ultimatley I am just disappointed with myself. I teach this stuff on a daily basis. I teach about study skills and test anxiety and yet I still couldn't pass this dang test!! Why can't I do well on these things?

Anyway, I am getting over my disappointment. We'll see what happens with my grad school acceptance. It's all in God's hands. If he wants me to go back to school, the doors will be open. **SIGH**

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home