Thoughts From The Mind of A Princess

My faith is like shifting sand changed by every wave; My faith is like shifting sand...so I stand on grace. -Caedmon's Call Shifting Sand Isaiah 26:8, James 1:4, James, 1:22-27

Monday, December 26, 2005

Jesus Is the Reason for the Season

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!

This weekend I sang and played the flute during our Christmas Eve service at church. Often times when I am involved in a service, I get caught up in the hustle and bustle of everything that's going on; where I am supposed to be, how much time is left, the quality of the music being presented, etc... Even though it was Christmas, I found myself caught up in everything during this service as well. But something struck me at the very end of the service; God tugged at my heart and said "Pay attention!" So I did:

Chan, our senior pastor, had just finished presenting the Christmas story (Luke 2) and reminded us that Jesus really is the reason for the season, even though that line has become somewhat cliche over the past few years. The worship team then got up on stage as Chan prayed, and I led the congregation in Silent Night. Afterwards, another one of our pastors got up to give a benediction, a dismissal prayer. He said that Jesus is the reason for the Old Testament. He is the reason for the New Testament. He is the very reason we celebrate Christmas each year. He is the reason for our joy, and to worship Him is the reason we are here today. But we are the reason He came.

I don't know what it was about that statement, but it brought tears to my eyes both services. I guess it reminded me of my purpose in life. My purpose is not to be an amazing teacher or a straight-A grad student. It is not to be an accomplished employee, a good daughter, or a talented flute player. My purpose is not to be a fabulous singer, a great friend, or an amazing girlfriend. My purpose is to love Christ and learn how to worship Him with all my heart, mind, strength, and soul. If I cannot do that, nothing else is worth it.

I think that statement has helped spell out my New Year's resolution.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home