Thoughts From The Mind of A Princess

My faith is like shifting sand changed by every wave; My faith is like shifting sand...so I stand on grace. -Caedmon's Call Shifting Sand Isaiah 26:8, James 1:4, James, 1:22-27

Saturday, December 24, 2005

A Rant on Etiquette

I go to the movies quite frequently. Whether it's with Phil or friends, I am usually there about 3 or 4 times a month. We travel between three particular theatres, depending on our tasks for the day and/or cost. In the past two weeks, Phil and I have been to the movies three times, including last night, and plan on going twice next week due to the new Christmas releases. Something that has been really bothering me lately has been the lack of etiquette possessed and displayed by movie-goers. It has become quite bothersome!

For example, last week, on an impulse after standing in line after line at Universal Studios, we decided to go see King Kong. I didn't really want to see this, but you can only see a film such as this one on the big screen once. We paid our money (which wasn't too much considering the location thanks to our theme park annual passes), and rushed to get a good seat. As soon as we sat down, I noticed the loud talking towards the back of the theater. We normally try to sit in the middle of the theater but due to our spontaneity, we walked in just as the previews began, so we sat a little lower than we normally do. Anyway, I noticed the loud talking. I figured it would stop once the movie began, but I was wrong. There was a large group of teenagers sitting in the back talking with normal volume. When the movie got louder, so did their talking! Who pays all that money to talk through a movie?!?! Then, a baby began crying. I'm not talking about a little toddler, I mean a baby maybe a month or two older than a newborn! Who the heck takes a teeny-tiny baby to a movie that is known for it's action sequences??!! Phil was even getting frustrated at the crying. Someone finally got up and asked for a manager's assistance with the baby, but no one said anything to the talkers.

Example #2: Last night, Phil and I visited another theme park theater to see The Chronicles of Narnia. Again, I movie I didn't want to see but we were tired of sitting at home and I had a free ticket to use up. First, we stood in line right next to three of my students. Then, another one of my students helped us at the ticket window. Neither of those have to do with etiquette so I'll move on. Anyway... we got into the theater just as the previews began. Lots of kids and families in this theater but what can you expect from a Disney movie based on a popular children's book? We sit pretty high up in the theater, with enough empty seats in between us and the family to our left and the duo of girls to our right. I've got my buttered popcorn, and my diet Coke--I'm all set. Just as the lights begin to dim, signaling the start of the movie (the movie, not the previews), a huge family of about 11 people comes walking in determined to sit together. They begin crawling over everyone, and finally realized there is no way they can all sit together. So, they split up. The grandparents, the mom, and the youngest of the boys sit right behind us. Let me remind you that the movie has already begun. We've got the duo of girls next to us who have obviously read the books because they are guessing the next thing that is going to happen, and the happy out-of-towners right behind us!! Young child has to cry about going to the bathroom every 30 minutes or so (in a 2 1/2 hour movie), and grandparents who obviously cannot hear well because they keep yelling comments back and forth to each other. I almost lost it when grandpa's cell phone went off and HE ANSWERED IT!!! Keep in mind, they entered the theater as the movie began so they missed the comical reminders to silence your cell phone.

AAAAHHH!! I know I sound a bit mean, I don't hate little kids or the elderly, but I really enjoy going to the movies. I try my best not to interrupt the people around me, and respect the fact that they shelled out just as much money on overpriced popcorn as I did. I guess I expect the etiquette in return. Oh well! It's not going to stop me from going to the movies, but it won't stop me from complaining either! ;-)

P.S. I was actually impressed with King Kong, and Narnia wasn't that bad either (any movie that gets kids reading makes me happy!!). I personally cannot wait to see Memoirs of A Geisha and The Producers. Looks like I'll be spending more time in the theaters this winter break.

8 Comments:

  • At 1:14 AM, Blogger Jessie said…

    I totally understand parents bringing children to movies and the elderly seeing movies, and I am not trying to be insensitive. I considered both situations during these occurences. I am talking about the fact it seems that common etiquette has deteriorated in our society. I honestly don't feel that a long, loud movie is the place for a newborn--I can totally picture a 5 year getting into a movie such as King King, but a newborn? I know parents want a night out, and they deserve that night out (and probably appreciate it) much more than I do, but why would you bring a screaming newborn to a loud, long movie? And in this particular case, the baby was much louder than the movie in many instances.

    As far as the elderly, I understand the fact that someone may be losing their hearing (God knows that will be me one day), and I am not suggesting that the elderly do not have the right to go to a movie, especially a family movie such as Narnia, but common etiquette suggests that you don't make a comment every other minute, or ask questions, or carry on a conversation, or ANSWER YOUR CELL PHONE. And not just people with a bad sense of hearing, I mean anyone. That's my biggest peeve--ok, you forgot to turn your cell off. Silence it, don't answer it and begin talking on it.

    I am just commenting on the fact that I think, as a society, we are beginning to lose our respect for people in common areas such as the mall, restaurants, movie theaters, etc... I just happened to notice it much more lately in the movie theaters. I think we all need to slow down and consider the people around us.

     
  • At 12:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I don't feel like it is fair to make a blanket statement about a long movie in the evening being no place for a newborn, but I do feel like people with children should be respectful of those around them when they bring them into an environment like that. There is no blanket rule, it is all in how people are with their chidren. If a child starts to scream and cry, a parent should walk out with them until they calm down. If a smaller child is being overly loud, the parent should say something to them so that they will be more quiet. My problem is those oblivious parents who just bring their kids into the theatre and forget they have them. Matt and I went to see a movie and there was a toddler running back and forth, back and forth, pushing on the seats, driving us crazy. Where were this child's parents? Watching the movie, ignoring the fact that they had a child at the theatre. That is what drives me crazy, the same as the people who are oblivious to the fact that they might be disturbing others by answering their cell phone and carrying on a conversation.

     
  • At 3:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I have to agree with Jessie on this. When you venture out into a public setting, it is appreciated to be curtious toward others, especially at the cinema. People don't want to pay $10 to see a movie and be annoyed by fellow moviegoers. That is part of why my personal preference is to watch movies at home on DVD in a controlled environment. The fact is that there will always be inconsiderate people at the cinema. You can only do so much to avoid them. Why should I be inconvenienced by having to see a midnight showing to avoid them? My belief is that a child that isn't old/mature enough to sit through a movie has no business being at a movie. The only way a parent can get out to see a movie is by bringing their crying newborn with them? Well maybe they need to just accept that when you have a child you can't do everything you used to do. I accept that one day I won't be able to do a lot of things because I will have a child. I will have to alter my plans, like wait for the movie on DVD or pickup restaurant food to be eaten at home. If my future yound children are ever at a movie it will be because Katie brought them because I will not dare bring them there and cause possible stress to the moviegoers or myself.

     
  • At 8:14 PM, Blogger Jessie said…

    Whoa, this is not an attack on people with children! I actually completely agree with Matt. I was commenting to someone earlier in the day that when you have children, your life adjusts. Granted, I do not currently have children, but I am the oldest of five and I know that my parents had to make quite an adjustment until I was old enough to babysit my younger brothers and sisters. I know that if I ever decide to have children, I am going to have to make sacrifices and changes. If I cannot find a babysitter for my newborn, then my plans have to change. Isn't that one of the things you must consider when deciding to have childen?

     
  • At 8:27 PM, Blogger Jessie said…

    I disagree.

     
  • At 9:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    As I said before, it is all about consideration. I group the rude cell phone talkers in the same group as those who bring their children and sit there and allow them to cry or worse, allow them to run around. I have been to plenty of movies where children were present, even small babies still in carriers, and there were no problems at all. I don't automatically see a child in a theatre and think there will be noise or trouble. Yes, being a parent does require sacrifice. You can choose to sacrifice going to the movie at all or you can choose to sacrifice seeing part of the movie if you need to take your child out of the theatre if they begin to cry. But that should be a parent's choice. "Etiquette" shouldn't dictate whether or not you can bring your small child to a movie. I just think that if you bring a child, you should be responsible for them. Some movie theatres have policies about bringing children under the age of 5 to showings after 6pm. I don't agree with this rule. It would be the same as banning cell phones in the theatre when only some people are inconsiderate about their usage, which I believe is a way bigger issue than children. Far more times do I go to the movies and hear phones ringing or worse, see people continually opening their cell phones to text message and flash their BRIGHT screens in the DARK theatre. Argh! That aggravates the crap out of me. But my point is, I still don't feel it is fair to make blanket statements about what should and shouldn't happen, because it is all about consideration whether it is about kids, cell phones, talking, period. Some are more considerate than others and it is unfair to look negatively upon all the people in a specific group when only certain ones behave inconsiderately.

     
  • At 11:04 AM, Blogger Jessie said…

    Agreed.

     
  • At 12:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i've got it! i've got it! i've got it! we should just all do what the stars in hollywood do...buy a mansion and build our own movie theatre! :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home