Thoughts From The Mind of A Princess

My faith is like shifting sand changed by every wave; My faith is like shifting sand...so I stand on grace. -Caedmon's Call Shifting Sand Isaiah 26:8, James 1:4, James, 1:22-27

Friday, November 11, 2005

Are You Serious?

For those of you who read this on a regular basis, you may have noticed that I recently deleted an emotionally charged entry that I wrote about some feelings that I had been dealing with. Well, apparently the fact that I deleted it has angered some people. I am being accused of censorship because I am too weak to stand behind my feelings. Now that is the silliest thing I have ever heard of in my life!

Let's get a few things straight:
1) Anyone who has known me for a short amount of time knows that I am not weak, and that I don't really care what I say and who I say it to. This has gotten me in trouble quite a few times, and I have learned some hard lessons from this quality of mine. I can honestly say that I think I've learned how to get this under control over the past few years, but sometimes I really have to work hard at it, or apologize for what I've said.
2) I have been under the impression that what is contained/written on a blog, my space, online journal, etc... is up to the person who maintains it. So technically I can delete whatever I want, when I want to, be it comments made by outside people, or things that I have written. I didn't know I needed permission for that.
3) When I wrote that original entry, I never wanted to slander (or is it libel because it is written?) the reputation of my church. I was upset about a few things that a few people that attend my church said about me. I cannot equate a church as a community to the actions of a few people. That would be narrow-minded and cold-hearted of me. I cannot deny the fact that there are some amazing things happening at CrossPointe, and that God is working there. It was wrong of me to word some of the things I wrote in such a manner as to lead people to believe that everyone at the church acted the same way.
4) The ultimate reason I decided to delete the entire entry was because I was feeling bad about what I wrote and how I wrote it. That was not the Godly way to express my feelings. I didn't delete my feelings, I deleted the way I express my feelings. I was worried that some of the things I said could be misinterpretted and taken out of context. Frankly, I didn't want my blog to be used as a bashing session about my church. I was not offended by any of the comments made. I wasn't trying to hurt anyone's feelings by deleting the entry. I was avoiding the direction it looked like the comments were going in.

It took a while, but I took the route I feel God would want me to take--I have spoken with those people at church who made comments about me and things are ok. Am I going through a rough season in my life right now? Yes. Is it difficult when I hear someone make a comment? Yes. Do I get upset when people jump to conclusions, or have incorrect perceptions? Of course! But it is not right to be angry about something or at someone without going to them about it.

I am not angry at those people who have made the most recent set of comments, I am just hurt. Apparently God has been trying to teach me a lesson lately. Something to do with dealing with hurt, or patience, or just accepting the fact that even your closest friends will let you down from time to time.

6 Comments:

  • At 9:23 PM, Blogger Panner said…

    Jess, I cannot believe you have to justify why you deleted an entry on your blog (I would have thought you would want to keep it to remember what you were feeling at that time). This whole thing has gotten way out of hand, and I don't think you should lose sleep over anything. I'm behind you! : )

     
  • At 10:56 PM, Blogger Jessie said…

    Actually I copied and saved it so I would remember what I was feeling at that time. I also saved the comments because they were good opinions. Thanks!

     
  • At 11:45 PM, Blogger Alice the Brit said…

    Well I'm glad you saved the comments too - cos otherwise I might have to get a bit cheesed off that you deleted my sacred words of wisdom to you ;(

    Har de Har Har!!

    Alice

     
  • At 9:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I did not feel it was a big deal to remove what you posted about. I was not all up in arms about it. My opinion is that it's your blog, your wrote it, if you want to change something it's up to you.

    I'm not sure if I feel Katie was saying the negative things about CP because she was just telling her experiences, or if she was adding to the fact that Melanie commented on why we don't attend CP. I can take what she said in two ways - 1) she was simply telling her experiences. 2) she was finding a polite way of bashing CP.

    Does any of that make sense? I'm having a hard time trying to explain this.

     
  • At 7:23 PM, Blogger Jessie said…

    Thanks for the smile Alice! ;-)

     
  • At 7:25 PM, Blogger Jessie said…

    Steve-I appreciate your thoughts, thanks. I wasn't trying to hurt anyone by taking down that blog--I was trying to avoid the direction it seemed as if the comments were going based on my words. I respect all the comments that were made. I did not feel threatened by any of them. I did not want to give CP a bad name based on the actions and words of two or three people. Does that make sense?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home