Thoughts From The Mind of A Princess

My faith is like shifting sand changed by every wave; My faith is like shifting sand...so I stand on grace. -Caedmon's Call Shifting Sand Isaiah 26:8, James 1:4, James, 1:22-27

Thursday, March 31, 2005

What a week

This has been a very interesting week. I am not really sure what I should be getting out of it, but I know there is something going on...

Monday: We started back to school after an entirely too-short Spring Break. The day was decent, didn't really do much teaching, just set the kids' minds up for what we'll be doing for the rest of the school year. That evening I went to dinner with Phil and A LOT of people from church. I usually don't do much socially with my church friends because I am so busy, or am too tired from school. It was nice to just be around people, and laugh and goof off. (I also learned that if you say the words boobs or panties to a boy, they will absolutely crack up--you should try it some time.)

Tuesday: Normal day of school, again didn't really do much, just discussed our novel and new vocab. That afternoon I had an interview at Sylvan--I got hired on the spot, but I knew that would happen. I am going to start working as soon as I take the GRE on April 29th. That night I had an instant messenger conversation with one of my oldest friends, Brian. We chatted for about three hours about everything. We caught each other up on our current lives, then reminisced about the "old days." The funny thing is that we only lived in the same town during all of middle school and 9th grade!! I mean, we still kept in touch through letters and phone calls, but that's it. It felt good to talk again.

Wednesday: Easy day at school, silent reading (fun stuff). I had a meeting with my principal--he rehired me for next school year!! Only one more year in OCPS and I will be tenured. What that means is unless I do something really bad, I cannot get fired; BUT I can be moved involuntarily to any school in the district. That usually doesn't happen unless you are either a really bad teacher and they want you to quit, or you're a really, really good teacher and they need you to teach at a failing school.

Today: A really good day at school. We just finished reading the Holocaust memoir, Night by Elie Wiesel (fantastic book if you're interested). We read and watched an interview that Oprah conducted with Wiesel a few years ago. This man is so compassionate, and just the subject of the Holocaust by itself...it was a very emotional day. My kids were excellent learners today, they were making real-life connections, digging way beneath the surface of what we were talking about. I had kids that started making connections between the Holocaust and their own lives, breaking down in tears... It was just one of those days where you, as a teacher, think "Wow!! I really am making a difference." It was such a good day.

Tomorrow I get to go on a date with my man and then on Saturday we are going to see Jason Mraz in concert.

Now I am going to go take a nap to refresh myself before small group. I'll post soon!! MUAH!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home