Thoughts From The Mind of A Princess

My faith is like shifting sand changed by every wave; My faith is like shifting sand...so I stand on grace. -Caedmon's Call Shifting Sand Isaiah 26:8, James 1:4, James, 1:22-27

Friday, March 25, 2005

"Friends are friends forever..."

When I was growing up, I always had a lot of friends. We moved a lot, but I was very outgoing and personable so I always made friends quickly. For some reason I was always closer to my guy friends than I was with my girl friends--girls were so petty and gosspiy (is that a word?) and I didn't like that. I had my best friend every year, in every grade, in every school.

In middle school, I started in one group of friends. I can't remember the details but I remember getting into one of those typical girl fights where the group splits in half, so our little circle split. To top it off, middle school is when you try to figure out your identity and I was one of those music kids: band, chorus, drama...involved in every aspect of the arts, so of course my "group" became only the musically oriented kids.

In high school, I attended three different schools. I had my 9th grade friends in Windham, CT: Brian, Aaron, Chelsea, Susan. I kept in touch with them for a few years after I moved. In fact, I still touch bases with Brian every few years or so.

10th grade was a significant year for me. I transfered to Naugatuck High. I don't know if it was actually this way, but to me it felt like the musical kids were the popular kids. I made so many new friends. I was especially close to a small group of 5 other girls. We did everything together. Then, 9 months later I moved to Florida. I kept in very close contact with that group of girls. I even drove up to see them one summer in college. Two of them flew down to my wedding. But of course, time took its toll--I keep in contact with Karla, but have lost touch with Sarah, Caitlin, Kelley, and even Melissa. Every now and then I get updates through the grapevine, but haven't really talked to any of them.

Florida: Hmm...what can I say? I didn't really like my high school. There was just something about it. Don't get me wrong, I wasn't an outcast, it wasn't miserable...I just didn't connect the way I did in Naugatuck. I was successful at St. Cloud High, won many awards and scholarships for music and academics. I had lots of friends, but it just wasn't the same. I still talk to Jenn every now and then through email, and met up with Mark last year (he filled me in on what everyone else is up to), but that's pretty much it. I am coming up on my ten year reunion, and I'll probably go, but I'm not really excited to see anyone. **sigh**

COLLEGE!!! Ok, even though growing up is inevitable and some pretty pivital events take place, college is really where you find yourself and your life-long friends. I started out at Valencia Community College, and was involved in both the VCC and UCF music programs. I marched UCF Knights my Freshman year of college and met one of my bestest (Jessieism) friends, Melanie, during band camp. Then, I met Brian, David, and Kyle. The following year, Lauren entered the picture. That was our group. We had separate friends outside the circle, and hung out with tons of other people, but for me, those were my best friends. But then life got in the way...We all began to change, to make some life decisions, to grow up, and even though we tried, we eventually all lost touch and then reconnected at certain points in our relationships.

Now: I still talk to my VCC group, but it's different. I still consider Melanie and Lauren my best friends. We don't talk every day, we don't hang out all the time, but when we do, it's just like nothing ever happened. Brian and I talk about once every two months. Our relationship was probably the most unique relationship I've ever had, and I miss it tremendously, but I cherish the times that we talk and hang out. I see Dave at church and when I visit him and Lauren, and Kyle and I talk online every now and then, but that's it.

It's so funny to me how we have our groups of friends. I have my church friends, my work friends, my band friends, my Disney friends, my small group, my South Florida friends, my Connecticut friends, the friends I go to when I need prayer, the friends I call when I want to go dancing or grab a drink, my friends that will tell me I am doing something wrong, and my friends that will let me do something bad...

I have Melanie, Lauren, Karis, Katie, Heidi, Mercedes, Clark and Vi, Charlie and Erin, Sarah, Tracey, Ashley, Mike, Thad, and so many others...but what it all comes down to is this: God brings people into our lives at planned out moments. Love your friends, pray for them, and God will handle the rest.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home