Thoughts From The Mind of A Princess

My faith is like shifting sand changed by every wave; My faith is like shifting sand...so I stand on grace. -Caedmon's Call Shifting Sand Isaiah 26:8, James 1:4, James, 1:22-27

Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Balancing Act

As you can probably guess, with the start of the school year and the start of my first semester of grad school, I am pretty stressed out. It takes a lot to stress me out. I worry by nature, but I don't really "stress out." I adapt quite quickly to change, and I always do what it takes to get things done.

School (teaching) has been pretty good this year--much, much better than last year. The only thing I have been really dealing with is the size of my classes. I teach 3 of the 5 English II Honors classes at my school and the only English II Pre-AP class. According to my principal, our classes should have no more than 33 students enrolled. Well, my honors classes have 48, 50, and 50 students in them!! I have a small classroom--it was difficult last year with only 37 students in a class. I literally have nowhere for these kids to sit--they sit in chairs all along the wall, or against a counter that have computers on it. I won't even try to describe how difficult it has been to stay on top of grading papers...

To make matters worse, students have begun getting annoyed with the class size and have asked to be transfered to my Pre-AP class. In case you are not familiar, Pre-AP is the next step higher than an honors class. It is designed to prepare you for Advanced Placement classes. It is an intensive and fast-paced curriculum focusing on higher-level thinking, analysis of literature, all while preparing for FCAT and covering the normal English II curriculum. It is a very interactive type of class and an in-depth grading system is required. Needless to say, the ideal size for this type of class is no more than 28-30. Guidance has been allowing students to transfer in without my authorization and has been allowing C+ students to enroll in a class that requires a prereq. of an A in English I. I have voiced my opinions loud and clearly in this situation, and now can only be patient until a new teacher is hired.

School (UCF) is okay. All three of my classes deal with research. I have a twenty-page research plan due at the end of the semester for the only class I attend on campus. One of my online classes is actually fun--it deals with reading trends in American education and allows me to really take a look at my reading curriculum. My other online course is kicking my butt!! The professor is really intimidating, and I've never even met her in person!! I have a paper due this Sunday by 5pm. You can probably guess what I'll be doing as soon as school lets out on Friday.

Church has been pretty exciting--we are growing in numbers and it looks like we'll be buying land and building very soon. The worship team is still fun, except the rehearsal schedule keeps changing which causes me to stress out even more because rehearsal cuts into homework or grading time.

My family is doing well. Tina is getting married in April; Cheryl and Brian are still in the Trinity area; Ronnie is well, as is Jon. My parents are the same, working hard and living life the way God calls them to.

Things with Phil and I are going very well. It seems like every day someone is asking one of us when we are getting married. We usually just shrug it off or laugh. We've talked about it, and I am pretty sure the intent is there, but we are in no hurry. We are both very happy with where our relationship is, and won't take the next step until we know that is what God wants us to do. I must say, that Phil has been absolutely amazing with my transistion. I've been calling him with very tense and tearful venting sessions. He sits there and just allows me to get it all out. He visits me while I do homework, and helps me out wherever he can. I have been trying to do the same but he understands how busy I am. I can tell it has been at bit taxing on him but I am so grateful that he continues to support and love me. What an amazing man God has blessed me with!!

Well I guess that's it for now. I gotta' go get some sleep. TTYL!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home