Thoughts From The Mind of A Princess

My faith is like shifting sand changed by every wave; My faith is like shifting sand...so I stand on grace. -Caedmon's Call Shifting Sand Isaiah 26:8, James 1:4, James, 1:22-27

Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Reality Check a la Katrina

Hurricane Katrina has really shaken me up. I've never experienced survivor's guilt until now. My heart literally aches when I see pictures and hear stories of the devestation. I get angry when I listen to political commentary about the rescue response. I get infuriated when people talk about this being a racial issue. I get sad when I see pictures of the Superdome.

Last week, one of the teachers at my school let us know about a family that happened to be in Central Florida for a funeral when Katrina swept through their Mississippi town. I have one of the cousins in one of my classes, and taught the other cousin two years ago. I felt bad. I prayed for the family. I shed tears for the family and the town. When I got to school yesterday, I found out that the family has decided to stay in Central Florida and one of the children are now in my class. Their house and belongings are ok, but they have no school district and lost friends. I was sorta' worried about my reaction to seeing this child walk into my classroom. I didn't want to make the child feel different, but I didn't want to overwhelmed the child either. Then the child knocked on my door.

New Student: "Hi, I am a new student here, and I think I am in your class this period."
My response: **Smile** "Why, yes you are. Have a seat, and I'll get you caught up before the end of the period. Welcome.

As I walked around the classroom today , I noticed the new student. With all the thoughts and images of Katrina running through my head, I looked at this child with new insight: God spared this family. It was coincidence that the family was here during the storm. An unfortune death of a close family member brought them to Florida. They were probably really sad about the death and dealing with family and funeral preparations. Now they are dealing with the loss of friends and neighbors. They still have material items but their souls have been damaged. You can't tell that this child has experienced so much in the past week, until you look in the child's eyes. You can see uncertainty and fear of the unknown. You can see nervousness. You can see anxiety. Is it because this is a new school, a new city, new people? Is it something else?

I question God's hand in this matter--why would He allow something of this magnitude to happen? I know He is in control of everything, but sometimes it is difficult to figure out the reasons.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home